What’s not to love Apples, Cinnamon, and Bread?!
I adapted this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens, Eat Well, Lose Weight Issue.I changed the icing recipe because when I made the one the magazine suggested it came out really salty. I think it was the cream cheese, because it tasted super salty. Although my Dad said it tasted normal.
7.5 oz. Package of Reduced-Fat Home-Style Biscuits (It should make 10 biscuits)
4 Tsp Ground Flax Seed
2 Tsp Granulated Sugar
1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 of a Medium Apple, Cored and Thinly Sliced
2 Tbsp Coarsely Chopped Walnuts
2 Tbsp Packed Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Orange juice
1 Tbsp Butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.
2. Coat a 8x4x2 in loaf pan with cooking spray
3. Cut biscuits in half cross wise (so they look like half moons).
4. In a small bowl combine flax seeds, sugar, and cinnamon. Roll the biscuits in the mix to coat.
5. Alternate Biscuit halves and apple slices in the pan. Sprinkle with remaining flax seed mix. Top with walnuts.
6. In a small sauce pan combine brown sugar, orange juice, and butter. Cook, while stirring, over medium heat until boiling. Pour over the biscuits. Bake for 25 minutes or until biscuits near the center are done. (I checked mine at 25 minutes and the center biscuits were done, but when I took them out the inner biscuits were a little under cooked, so watch out for that)
7. Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
8. Invert onto a baking sheet. (I used parchment paper, no need to mess up more dishes!)
9. Invert again onto your serving platter. (So the top side is up again)
10. Drizzle with icing. (Since I disliked the icing provided by the recipe I used THIS one)
Icing (That the recipe suggested)
2 Tbsp Reduced Fat Cream Cheese (Neufchatel), softened
2 Tsp Orange Juice
1/2 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tsp Granulated Sugar
1. In a small bowl, whisk together cream cheese, orange juice, vanilla, sugar.
2. That’s it. It just seemed sad at only one step.